perjantai 30. marraskuuta 2012

Bridges

Sepia Saturday theme image this week is entitled "Rough Wooden Bridge Over River, Group With Dog on the Shore"...... "Bridges have always had symbolic meaning. When discussions were taking place on the design of the first Euro notes, it was decided that the common illustration on all denominations should be a bridge - to symbolise the joining together of people, communities, and nations."
 
So, I think it's time to join together.
 
A bridge joining countries
 
But first about the picture : Around year 1940 children could collect little cards which came with margarine packages, pictures of cars and vehicles or wonders around the world and glue them into a specific book. This little card is from the collection "Traveling around the world with Paasivaara margarine factory" :)  Kids got plenty of geographical knowledge by eating margarine.
 
 Victoria Falls Bridge, before Great Zambesi or Zambezi bridge, was completed in 1905. The bridge links two countries, Zambia and Zimbabve. The Victoria Falls Bridge was the brainchild of Cecil Rhodes, a key feature in his dream of a Cape to Cairo railway, even though he never visited the Victoria Falls and died two years before the railway reached them - before construction of the Bridge had begun. Rhodes is often quoted to have said: "Build the bridge across the Zambezi where the trains, as they pass, will catch the spray of the Falls.".
 
Short example from the text behind the card: 
" When 2700 km long  Zambezi river rushes from the Rhodesian higlands to south-eastern lowlands of  Africa, it forms  tremendous falls which are 130 m high and 1.700 m wide and which's rumble you can hear miles away. "
 
Year 1855 Dr. Livingstone was the first white man who reached the Victorian Falls. I bet it  was quite difficult for himt to get to the other side. 
 
 
 A bridge joining mainland and archipelago
The Replot Bridge
Replot Bridge is the longest bridge in Finland. It joins the archipelago to the mainland in Korsholm, near Vaasa. It replaces the ferries which previosly used to serve 2.200 island residents daily and makes it easy for tourists to visit the outlying islands.
 
The bridge was opened in August 1997. It has a length of 1.045 m  ( 3,428 ft ) and is carried by pylons 82 m high ( 271 ft ). The middle span is 250 m  ( 820,21 ft ) wide and gives a vertical clearance of 26 m  ( 85,302 ft ) above sea level.
 

A bridge joining people
 
This small bridge is quite near to our summer home. The little river is called Metsäjoki, Forest river. We often take a walk there and my grand daughter likes to send bottle mail, you can see a little white spot in the river, that's her mail in a juice bottle. Hope you find it and notice that it is not a trash but contains  warm greetings from Ella.
 
Or perhaps these fishermen from  Pacific Ocean island will receive her mail .
 
More stories and bridges here
 


30 kommenttia:

  1. Bottle mail! What a wonderful picture of your grand daughter on the bridge. I've never heard of or seen the cards that came with the margarine packages. Did your margarine come uncolored and with a little package of color you mixed in?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Helen! I got these cards from an old friend of mine and her family must have eaten lots of margarine. There are nearly 90 cards in this collection. But I've never heard about uncolored or colored margarine. I think they always have been colored. Perhaps I must ask my mother about that.


      Poista
  2. I remember margarine that had to be colored with a packet of stuff that came with it. I love the taste of butter, but I never have liked margarine.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I asked my mother if we ever had such color packets with margarine and she had never heard about such or seen anything coming with those packets except those collectable cards. So in Finland the margarine was always colored already. Did you have different colors or was it always yellow?

      Poista
  3. Beautiful bridge, the Replot Bridge! I admire the decision makers to approve of such bridge to facilitate just 2,200 island residents. And please tell Ella that whenever her bottle passes the Sont bridge, I'll watch our North sea beaches!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. The bridge is beautiful, but too high for me to walk through it. I'm a little afraid of high places. I hope you get Ella's message I think it must be pretty soon there.

      Poista
  4. I love all old bridges, expecially mine Winebridge!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I believe Winebridge is the best bridge ever!

      Poista
  5. I'd not seen that shot of the Victoria Bridge before; the Replot Bridge is great. I hope that Ella gets an answer back to her message in the bottle.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I hope so too, it would be exciting to get an answer.

      Poista
  6. Having to color my own margarine would put an end to my purchasing margarine, that's for sure. But I love the idea of being able to collect beautiful AND educational cards with purchase. That's certainly a better idea than a silly ring in a box of cereal. I hope someone finds Ella's bottle mail and writes to her. Many years ago my students sent letters via helium balloon, and there was great excitement when one student got a letter in return.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Those helium balloons fly quite far. This summer a balloon landed near our village, it was send from England and included a letter. It was some kind of competitions of whose balloon could fly farthest.

      Poista
  7. Oh, goodness -- what memories! My job (as a little kid) was to mix the color into the margerine; I remember it well.

    VastaaPoista
  8. I was unfamiliar with margarine cards....love the bridges and the stories and so interesting to see someone still sending notes in bottles, precious.

    VastaaPoista
  9. An interesting post. I love the photo of your granddaughter sending bottle mail and I do hope it is received in the same warm spirit in which it was sent.

    VastaaPoista
  10. Yes, I remember the margarine that you had to color with the little dot of yellow stuff. As a child, we thought this was the most fun. To squish the bag around until the margarine turned yellow. But we called it oleo.
    Love the little bridge your granddaughter is standing on. And the idea of her sending a note in a bottle down the stream.
    Nancy

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Nancy! Children like that kind of little jobs and coloring must have been fun.

      Poista
  11. Yes I remember the margarine that was white and had a little packet of color with it. The first photo is mystical looking. A darling child and sweet story.
    QMM

    VastaaPoista
  12. The Replot bridge is beautiful and the photo of your grand daughter sending her mail is charming :-) Jo

    VastaaPoista
  13. Reading your post is almost like going on a short holiday - you take me to distant places and make me feel as if I had almost been there. If they still issued those margarine cards you could get a job writing descriptions for them

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Alan! Margarine cards are lovely, but no more work for me, I'm too used to be without a clock and timetable :)

      Poista
  14. I don't remember the margarine with the colored packets to mix in. Maybe we at butter? The only bridge between two countries I've crossed is the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit in the USA and Windsor in Canada.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. We ate margarine but we never had extra color to mix in. We have a bridge between Finland and Sweden, but I've never crossed it.

      Poista
  15. Some awesome photographs and I love the contrast with your granddaughter on the little footbridge.

    VastaaPoista