torstai 4. lokakuuta 2012

Sepia Saturday 146


"Kenraali Washington" lähdössä Deep Riverin laiturista noin v.1915.   Koska teitä ei vielä silloin ollut, tehtiin matka yleensä jalan tai laivalla.

"The General Washington" leaves the dock in Deep River about 1915. Because there were no roads in the early Deep River area, travel was usually by foot or boat.
 
  
"Kenraali Washington" teki päivittäin edestakaisia matkoja lähellä sijaitsevaan Astoriaan, kuljettaen  matkustajia, erilaisia tarvikkeita, postia ja lääkkeitä Deep Riveriin, Knapptoniin ja Frankfortiin.   1930-luvulla alueelle saatiin rakennettua uusi valtatie ja laivaliikenne surkastui vähitellen.
 Senja ja Lauri olivat silloin jo Suomessa, eivät ehtineet nauttimaan vauhdin hurmasta Amerikan teillä.
 
The riverboat "General Washington" made daily round trips to nearby Astoria – the source of supplies, mail, and medical services to Deep River – and provided the residents with transportation to and contact with the outside world. This riverboat served Deep River, Knappton, and Frankfort until the early 1930s, when the newly built area highway became more competitive for passenger and freight travel.
 
 This is my first entry to Sepia Saturday 
 and these pictures are from my great uncle's and aunt's collection.
More information about my uncle-Lauri and aunt-Senja you can read here
and more their photos by clicking on the right side 
Tunnisteet / Categories/Amerikan siirtolaiset.
 
 

 

27 kommenttia:

  1. Welcome to Sepia Saturday Caijsa. Two fascinating old photos - is there a story connecting you great aunt and uncle to the Deep River, Knappton and Franfort? (I had to check out where these were,

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Bob! My great uncle Lauri immigrated to USA year 1907, these pictures are from his and his wife's Senja's photo album. Also Lauri's four brothers, including my grandfather and one sister immigrated to USA. Lauri and my grandfather came back to Finland. I have written about Lauri in my previous posts, one you can find here http://caijsamortensdt.blogspot.fi/2011/06/working-wdnesday-lauri-king-of.html

      Poista
  2. These are amazing photos both for the detail and the history. Welcome to Sepia Saturday.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Magnificent pictures Caijsa and I love your blog design, beautiful. I joined Sepia Saturday fairly recently and you'll see, it's a lot of fun. Also there is a lot of creativity when it comes to how people interpret the weekly theme. Welcome!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Peter! I've been following Sepia Saturday for quite a while, but I had to get enough courage to join it and then I thought now is the right time.

      Poista
  4. Yes welcome to Sepia Saturday Caijsa (pretty name), loved your first entry. I'm new to SS too, when I came across it I just had to start a whole new blog for my entries. Waiting a whole week to post them is a bit painful though :).

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you dawn! I was also thinking to start a new blog, but then I thought this theme of Sepia Saturday suits well to my original plan - old photos and immigration - from which I've been slipping a bit.

      Poista
  5. Wonderful photos of a long gone way of life - thank you for sharing them.

    VastaaPoista
  6. I add my welcome as well, Caijsa. It took me a moment to realize that your photos were not of Finland as they look like they could be. This is Deep River in Washington state, correct? A beautiful place in 1915 that deserved to be preserved in a photo album.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Mike! Yes this is Deep River Washington. I forgot there are many Deep Rivers in USA. This photo really could be of Finland although we don't have rivers as wide and long as you have

      Poista
  7. Hello, and welcome to a very fun blog! You certainly are right on theme with Alan's photo too. What a lovely place, and from such a time that life was often very carefree. It's a beautiful there. Thank you for the translation too! Hope to see you here again!- Karen

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Karen and welcome to my blog. Place looks lovely and I hope the river was clean and the trip to Astoria was calm and slow.

      Poista
  8. Wonderful photos! Thank you for joining us on Sepia Saturday. I am your newest follower.

    Kathy M.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Kathy and welcome to my blog!

      Poista
  9. Thank you for sharing such fantastic photos. I look forward to more of your Sepia Saturday posts!
    Kathy

    VastaaPoista
  10. Great entry. Count me among your fans for blog design!

    VastaaPoista
  11. Riverboats were very important in the past. I am reading a book from 1930 about a houseboat trip down the Mississippi. Almost all the river traffic was gone by then.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. It's quite sad Life is so busy today and river boats are so slow.

      Poista
  12. Welcome to Sepia Saturday. I'm relatively new here too. I enjoyed your interesting photos! And thanks for the translation!

    VastaaPoista
  13. Great photos! What I noticed were the logs in the water. Very interesting.

    Welcome to Sepia Saturday!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Jana! I think the dock was near logging camps.

      Poista
  14. I especially like the first image because it reminds me so much of a harbor in Northern California.

    VastaaPoista